Craft Beer Attraction!

shorlin

Re: Craft Beer Attraction!

Post by shorlin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Thinking about the beers when I should be doing other stuff, and trying to find a way to prioritize. 117 beers right now with possibly a few more to come, maybe?

Only drinking one night, and pouring the next, so I can't drink one of everything. So here is my plan to decide on beers:

1. Nothing I've ever tried before. There's nothing there that I've had and that I need to drink again.
2. Nothing I can get at NLC afterwards. Maybe I will break that rule if I have a spare token at the end, but I probably won't.
3. Where possible, going for "hard to find" stuff: Italian, NZ, one-offs and vintage. I can probably grab a Flying Monkeys from Ontario some time, but not a Bruery.
4. Sours, stouts, IPAs.
5. Using Untappd average ratings to help me make decisions.

I took the current beer list, flagged beers I have/haven't tried and found Untappd averages for each beer. Sorted to only look at beers I haven't tried, that won't be at NLC, and ordered by Untappd rating. Here are my top choices. The last number is Untappd average.

These are the only beers (other than Utopias) with a rating above 4.00. Must-tries.
Epic Brewing Big Bad Baptist American Imperial Stout 4.23
Les Trois Mousquetaires Ceci N'est Pas Une Gueuze Gueuze 4.21
Brasserie Dunham Jane Doe #6 American Sour Ale 4.2
The Bruery Oude Tart Flanders Red Ale 4.1
Dieu Du Ciel Solstice dEte (Framboises) Berliner Weisse Sour 4.07
Sawdust City Brewing Company Bitter Beauty Imperial IPA 4.03

I skipped 8 Wired Flat White, because I don't really like milk stouts.

These are between 3.90 and 4.00. Another good list
Birrificio De Ducato Luna Rossa Sour Ale 3.95
Trou Du Diable Ze Blene No. 6 Sour Ale 3.95
Lindemans Old Kriek Cuvee Rene Lambic Kriek 3.94
8 Wired Brewing Grand Cru (2015) Sour Ale 3.93 n
Brasserie Dunham Assemblage Numero 1 American Sour Ale 3.92
Brouwerij De Molen Binkie Claws = Doggie Claws American Barleywine 3.91

Then there are 3 Port Rexton beers. Assuming they are new I want each of them. Now we're up to 15 samples.

It also makes sense to try the other good beers from some of these breweries. So that's

8 Wired Brewing Mighty Imperial Ale Strong Ale 3.81
Birrificio De Ducato Verdi Imperial Stout American Imperial Stout 3.85
Birrificio De Ducato New Morning Saison 3.62
Sawdust City Brewing Company Skinny Dippin' Stout Oatmeal Stout 3.74
The Bruery Saison Rue Saison 3.84
Trou Du Diable SMaSH Citra American IPA 3.88
Trou Du Diable La Morsure American IPA 3.74

and I'd like to try the White Pony beers from Italy
White Pony Microbrewery Strongest Than Ever American Barleywine 3.85
White Pony Microbrewery The Oracle English Barleywine 3.77
White Pony Microbrewery Sour The System Lambic Style Sour Ale 3.74
White Pony Microbrewery Troubles We Love Flanders Red Ale 3.62

That's 26 samples.

That may be a lot
The next beer you try might be the best beer you will ever have.
Check out my Untappd profile: https://untappd.com/user/shorlin

Brian M

Post by Brian M » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Sounds like a good plan to me! I've printed it off, but I may not want to try that many samples. Last year I was way too slow in my sampling and had lots of tokens left over. I will try to drink a little faster this year, but don't want to end up like a basket case either. I would love to have an all day event where you could spread your drinking out over 9 or 10 hours. But, I am very thankful for what we are getting.
shorlin wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm
Thinking about the beers when I should be doing other stuff, and trying to find a way to prioritize. 117 beers right now with possibly a few more to come, maybe?

Only drinking one night, and pouring the next, so I can't drink one of everything. So here is my plan to decide on beers:

1. Nothing I've ever tried before. There's nothing there that I've had and that I need to drink again.
2. Nothing I can get at NLC afterwards. Maybe I will break that rule if I have a spare token at the end, but I probably won't.
3. Where possible, going for "hard to find" stuff: Italian, NZ, one-offs and vintage. I can probably grab a Flying Monkeys from Ontario some time, but not a Bruery.
4. Sours, stouts, IPAs.

I took the current beer list, flagged beers I have/haven't tried and found Untappd averages for each beer. Sorted to only look at beers I haven't tried, that won't be at NLC, and ordered by Untappd rating. Here are my top choices. The last number is Untappd average.

These are the only beers (other than Utopias) with a rating above 4.00. Must-tries.

Then there are 3 Port Rexton beers. Assuming they are new I want each of them. Now we're up to 15 samples.

It also makes sense to try the other good beers from some of these breweries. So that's

That's 26 samples.

That may be a lot

adrianbarnescom

Post by adrianbarnescom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 pm

shorlin wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:50 pm

4. Sours, stouts, IPAs.

That's 26 samples.

That may be a lot

Sound approach which is pretty much what I adhere to at beer festivals although, for CBA next month, I probably won't bypass high rated beer in my favourite styles just because they're listed as showing up at NLC afterwards as not sure what quantities will be available and there may be some beer that have good ratings but I don't enjoy enough to purchase a full bottle so if I can sneak a sample for a token or two, why not? If I enjoy the sample tasting, and it's at NLC afterwards, I'll pick up a few bottles :)
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer" - Rene Deschutes

shorlin

Post by shorlin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:20 am

Yeah I'm also thinking about "not quite good enough for a full bottle but good enough for a sample" samples. But I don't think I can justify missing a must-try beer if there's a chance I can find something else at NLC later.

And 26 (or whatever number I said) is too much. I will have to pare down to some barer essentials. Last time I did find myself spending the last couple of tokens on things which were new, but just OK, but that won't likely be an issue this time.

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by beerthief » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:47 am

Wow Shorlin, you went down that rabbit hole didn't you? :lol:

Personally I don't tend to get that serious and just wander around looking for anything that catches my eye. I will search out certain sours and must try's plus any cask tapping. There are a few hard to find and never tied that I will make an effort for here but again I'm not too worried about being satisfied.

when I wound up at the Great Canadian Beer Fest by chance I managed to try everything there by sharing my samples with the friend I was with. Cutting the tasting portions in half made it possible to try that many without winding up out cold on the floor. Great for going for the high mileage award in your head.

As for NLC options they will not be the only venue with access to leftover beer, for now I will not divulge where beer may end up. Maybe we will post it after the transactions have been made so you can run and buy it up before the masses catch on. I probably won't tell you what ends up in my cellar :mrgreen:
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

shorlin

Post by shorlin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Whoo! What a great weekend for beer. Mike, Tom, everyone, you guys did a fantastic job. Nothing but good reviews from the people I spoke to. Great venue, great lineup. Nice going.

Did I get to all the beers I wanted? Nah, but that's OK. I had to try Split Rock, and then tagging along with people you try a few others you didn't plan to, so it's all good. You run low on tickets and then start splitting samples with people you just met. Makes for a fun evening. Glad to hang out with Danny and Mark, then later on with Alan and Kayla. Nice to see a bunch of people in person (Adrian, C-Pu, Brian, Angela, Untappd buddies, etc.)

Pouring was also a lot of fun, highly recommend it for anyone who wants to enjoy the night from the other side. Nothing like introducing gueuze to the masses.

LTM Ceci N'est Pas Un Gueuze was by far the best in show for me. Deadly. That Sawdust City Bitter Beauty was also excellent. That needs to be here at NLC - it would sell like crazy. Big Bad Baptist was a big beer, but one for splitting a bottle a few ways instead of trying to down 50 ml on the way to the next one at the end of the night.

No big misses on the night, but I was pretty selective. Bruery Saison Rue was a big of a surprise, not really as good as I expected, but the Oude Tart made up for it.

Overall, I think any hiccups from the first Brewfest have been ironed completely out and the CBA was spot-on. The only thing that would make it better would be more and more local breweries, so I'm looking forward to 2018.

adrianbarnescom

Post by adrianbarnescom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 pm

shorlin wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:20 pm
LTM Ceci N'est Pas Un Gueuze was by far the best in show for me. Deadly. That Sawdust City Bitter Beauty was also excellent. That needs to be here at NLC - it would sell like crazy. Big Bad Baptist was a big beer, but one for splitting a bottle a few ways instead of trying to down 50 ml on the way to the next one at the end of the night.

Good to bump into you at CBA, fully agree that Tom/Mike/Matt did an excellent job of organizing this year's event...had a great time! I missed Sawdust City Bitter Beauty at the event but picked up a can and tried it earlier this evening and, you're right, it's a great tasting beer. Epic's Big Bad Baptist was one of the beer I was looking forward to the most but I found it a bit boozy...still a good beer but not as good as I was expecting.
"Life is too short to drink cheap beer" - Rene Deschutes

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by beerthief » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Thanks for the kudos Steve and Adrian. As you can imagine it was a lot of work and probably 2000 emails putting it all together. I agree that it went off pretty well with almost no hiccups. There were a couple that didn't affect the event but preventable for next year.

The paperwork is still being finalized and sometime when I'm home again we'll have a debrief of the organizers to see what the next plan is.

Thanks to everyone who came out and showed their support while tasting some tasty brews.

cheers
mike
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk