BRINGING GOOD BEER TO GREAT PEOPLE!

Pairing beer and food and cooking with beer
 TonyL
It deserves it`s own thread.

My dough recipe for 2 thin crust pies;
For one crust, half the recipe except use 4.8 oz of water in place of the 9.8 oz

16 oz flour
9.8 oz water at 120f
1 Tbsp EV olive oil
2 Tbsp honey
2 Tsp sea salt
1.5 Tsp yeast

divide flour into half and add salt to one half. The other half flour is placed in a bowl along with the yeast and the honey, olive oil and water and mix well. I use a KA stand mixer with dough hook. Ad remaining flour a little at a time to mix well. Kneed dough for a few minutes after all flour is used. Divide in half and form 2 balls of dough. Coat each ball with EVOO and place each ball into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours. Remove the dough 2 to 3 hours before you use it to let it come to room temperature .
Flatten the dough and form the crust. I lift the dough by the edges and rotate the dough letting the weight of the dough stretch it before laying it down to make the pie. I use a stone in my oven that has been preheated for 1 hour at 500f before placing the pie on it. It bakes fast.. about 5 to 7 minutes so don`t over do the toppings or you will have the crust done and the toppings not. You can use more water to delay the crust enough to give it time for the toppings to do, but my method works well for me. I do use parchment paper to make my pie on as it don`t let the pie stick to my peel that way.

I have dome some on my King Griller charcoal BBQ for that wood fired taste, but it you do do it that way use something to deflect the direct heat from the coals from the pizza stone or you`ll have a very charred crust.

Some pictures here.

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/nflder/ ... 8.jpg.html

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/nflder/ ... 0.jpg.html

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/nflder/ ... 4.jpg.html
 danhyde
Looks amazing.

.... So what did you pair it with?
 TonyL
danhyde wrote:
.... So what did you pair it with?
That particular one was paired with my APA, but as you well know, pizza will go with any style of beer. :lol:
 ryndam
I tend to do a cold-rise on my pizza dough as well, though I don't use any honey. I've also found that if you have a grill handy you can get a pretty tasty sauce shortcut on something simple like a margarita pizza by slicing a tomato into rounds, tossing with some olive oil and minced garlic and grilling them along-side the crust then tossing them on top of the crust when it's done.
I believe that you can also get away without a stone on the grill if you go with a short cooking time (3-5 minutes depending on grill temp) and flip the pizza about half way through (brushing with olive oil once you flip).

I have a rather quick and dirty tomato sauce recipe as well when I'm in the mood. Basically you take a can of no-salt added tomatoes, blend them into a puree then reduce on the stove for as long as it takes to get the consistency you want (i prefer when it's just approaching paste from the more watery form it started with. My two main forms of seasoning go towards either curry accented with sweeter herbs (usually dried basil, oregano or marjoram) or a lighter mix of sage, thyme, oregano, marjoram or parsley. Salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste with either treatment.

It's not uncommon for me to use a pizza to get rid of leftovers. One of the most surprising successes I had in this was turkey and celery on a hummus crust, but usually it's just olive oil and leftover chicken or chopped veggies that have been there for a few days or even just salt and pepper on olive oil if i really really can't be bothered.
New listings at the NLC.

Missed that but I have a large stock of Eclipse wa[…]

Big NL beer news!

Awesome, thanks Chris. Funny seeing you on the str[…]

Over 200 lambics in mine :mrgreen:

NLC Beer Expo 2018

I will not be there either. I was a bit interested[…]

Subscribe to newsletter to receive updates & invites!