BRINGING GOOD BEER TO GREAT PEOPLE!

Pairing beer and food and cooking with beer
 HoppyFace
So, I made a pretty amazing pot of soup a few weeks ago, which happened to feature beer as one of the main ingredients of the broth. I'm not usually a fan of the cold, damp weather that accompanies the winter months in Newfoundland, but I DO love having an excuse to cook a nice soup or stew every now and then...and I love it even more when I can incorporate a seasonal brew! This soup was a pretty big hit, despite the inaccurate name I've attached to it. I've been calling it chicken "taco" soup, even though it quite glaringly contains absolutely no tacos. ;)

This was the easiest thing in the world to make! I used my slow cooker, and I started by dumping in the following ingredients and stirring them all together:

1 onion (chopped)
1 can of kidney beans (drained)
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of whole kernel corn (drained)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 bottle of beer (I used a Sam Adams Oktoberfest, and it worked great)
1 can of Italian-flavored stewed tomatoes (drained and roughly chopped)
1 package of dry taco seasoning

Then, I took three chicken breasts (boneless/skinless) and pushed them down into the mixture until they were covered up, and cooked the whole gosh-darned thing on low heat for 5 hours. When it beeped at me, I pulled the chicken breasts out of the soup and shredded 'em to bits (I just put them on a plate and used two forks to shred them, nothing fancy), then stirred the shredded bird bits right back in and cooked the whole gosh-darned thing on low heat again, this time for 2 hours.

When it beeped at me for the second time, I served it up in bowls, and topped it with shredded cheddar cheese and a nice big dollop of sour cream. It was delicious! I made cheesy garlic bread to go with it, but I think tortilla chips would be pretty nice, too. I might try that next time...and with this soup, there's always a next time, because it makes a TON and it freezes like a dream. What's better than that?

Even though this soup is not incredibly spicy, it does have just enough kick to it to warm your insides on a cold night...and I think it probably pairs best with a nice hoppy IPA like a Mad Tom. Yum!

ryndam
Mmm. I've been trying to make some more soups and stews this season so maybe next time I'll try to find the right beer to put in it.

I remember a few years ago I had some pretty good success using Old Speckled Hen in the pan while I was sautéing chicken. Some of the best chicken I've ever made :lol: Maybe I'll try a beer marinade in the future as well probably won't be as effective as buttermilk or something but I think it's worth an attempt.
 Allan Johnson
There's a cheese/pale ale soup in one of my beer books that I am looking forward to making sometime soon!
 HoppyFace
ryndam wrote:Maybe I'll try a beer marinade in the future as well probably won't be as effective as buttermilk or something but I think it's worth an attempt.
I bet beer would actually work extremely well as a marinade! I think one of the reasons that buttermilk works so well is that the lactic acid contained in it acts to break down the protein in the chicken a little bit, making it more tender once it's cooked. I'm guessing that since beer has pretty high acidity, it might have a similar effect! You should give it a go!
Allan Johnson wrote:There's a cheese/pale ale soup in one of my beer books that I am looking forward to making sometime soon!
That soup sounds amazing to me...but that's not surprising, since cheese and beer are two of my absolutely favorite things ever. Haha. :) You should post about it once you make it!
 beerthief
yum! :mrgreen:
New listings at the NLC.

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy the Rowdy Roger.[…]

Big NL beer news!

That’s great news Chris! Please keep us in[…]

Over 200 lambics in mine :mrgreen:

NLC Beer Expo 2018

I will not be there either. I was a bit interested[…]

Subscribe to newsletter to receive updates & invites!