BRINGING GOOD BEER TO GREAT PEOPLE!

Pairing beer and food and cooking with beer
 sheldona
I recently brewed a stout recipe that included molasses. It has a full creamy body, pours a nice dark brown, and has a beautiful chocolatey head. The beer turned out great except for one big flaw: the molasses flavour overwhelms everything else. Specifically, it's got a nasty metallic flavour from the iron. Turned out to be a real drain pourer. :x I'm gonna take another crack at this recipe, but I can't bring myself to throw out the current batch. So, although I can't drink this beer, I can cook with it!

Dark grain bread: I saved some of the grains (maris otter, chocolate malt, and caramunich) from this batch and used them in a bread recipe. It's a simple french bread recipe, but with the added grains. The milled grains were taken for a spin in a food processor before adding them to the bread. IMO, this step is a requirement for spent grain bread. Otherwise, the grains get stuck in your teeth. I replace water in the bread recipe with the "failed" stout.

Stout brownies: Based on this recipe, these brownies are rich and moist. Note that the eggs are replaced with applesauce (2 tbsp per egg) and the white chocolate chips with walnuts.

I spread some fruit jam on the bread and paired it with a Belgian dark strong ale. Fantastic!

ImageImage
Nice! I'll bet these would be good with the Mill Street Vanilla Porter too.
 HoppyFace
Well done! :) I'm glad you are finding uses for the stout, rather than simply disposing of it. I once found myself in possession of 30 bottles of terrible red wine that was brewed from one of those god-awful Costco kits. I turned that crap into mulled wine (mixed with cranberry juice), moose stew, spaghetti sauce, you name it...and it was great! Waste not, want not.

Those brownies look absolutely amazing! :)
 Grogsnob
HoppyFace wrote:I once found myself in possession of 30 bottles of terrible red wine that was brewed from one of those god-awful Costco kit
Lol I find the Costco kits make pretty good wine. It's not Mad Hatter, but it always turns out very drinkable. I've had one kit out of 10-12 that turned out poorly. It was my second kit. Every bottle since has been good.
 beerthief
Excellent work, both of those look very tasty, too bad it won't keep until I get home :?
 HoppyFace
Grogsnob wrote:Lol I find the Costco kits make pretty good wine. It's not Mad Hatter, but it always turns out very drinkable. I've had one kit out of 10-12 that turned out poorly. It was my second kit. Every bottle since has been good.
Yeah, it may have just been that I was unlucky enough to have gotten a kit that was gone off a bit, or something. It was actually a kit that someone had given to me because they didn't want it, so goodness only knows how old it was. They might have had that sitting in their basement for a year or two! Who knows. I've been hesitant to try Costco kits ever since, but perhaps that's unfounded! I'm glad to hear you've had decent luck...but since you did have that one kit that turned out badly, I think you know exactly what I'm talking about when I say it was terrible! ;) Haha! Hobo swill!
New listings at the NLC.

Missed that but I have a large stock of Eclipse wa[…]

Big NL beer news!

Awesome, thanks Chris. Funny seeing you on the str[…]

Over 200 lambics in mine :mrgreen:

NLC Beer Expo 2018

I will not be there either. I was a bit interested[…]

Subscribe to newsletter to receive updates & invites!