New listings at the NLC.

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New listings at the NLC.

Post by beerthief » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:23 am

Obviously my memory is getting worse for forgetting that particular EOI, thank you Adrian for putting up the timeline for clarification. I know I got the email informing the club of the 10th as a delivery date as I called my girl to remind her to go get one as I didn't think I was going to be home. Turns out we both forgot on the day.

Patrick, as for EOI's it does matter that people send them in as it gives base numbers for the NLC to decide how much to bring in, if no-one sent them in then the numbers of bottles actually hitting the shelves would be waaay smaller. Tom actually goes through them all to make sure the allotted numbers put in by members go to the stores they specify. I always make my numbers higher than what I would probably buy to help increase the numbers.

I agree that the NLC stopping the individual orders from the beginning took a lot away from the club, no-one was more upset about that than I was. I totally understand people not seeing any benefit from being members anymore but your replies to the EOI's gives you a wee voice and members do get the emails with the advance warning of beer hitting the shelves. On orders with small allotments this can be the difference of getting a particular beer or not.

The reality is that the beer club has totally changed the world of beer in this province and has made it a reasonable place to live with a pretty constant rotation of beer to choose from. That work has built the customer base that is allowing the boom of new microbreweries we are going to have by the end of next year. How far behind would we still be if the club had never happened? The NLC still does not have a dedicated beer person.

Will there come a time that there's no reason for the club to exist anymore? I don't know the answer to that, but in the meantime it's nice to be working with a liquor board that brings in every single beer we request. I know for a fact that our relationship with the NLC is envied by people in pretty much every other province, we are very lucky from that perspective.

Tom and I and now Matt Power have dedicated countless hours over the years to get good beer into this province at no profit to us, there were literally thousands of emails putting the Beer Attraction together and that hasn't been totally put to bed yet either. Where does it end?

Onward and upward.
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

UXO

Post by UXO » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:55 pm

I'm certainly not critical of the efforts made by you and Tom - I realize how much work you guys put into this. And yes, your efforts have resulted in the NLC being better than it was, but that's not exactly a high bar. As you point out, they still don't have a dedicated beer guy, which is completely obvious given the haphazard way they decide what beer to order. I mean, seriously, any agency who stocks their shelves with Saison du Tracteur and Fat Tug right next to Molson XXX and Molson Ice clearly has no idea what they're doing. (And it wasn't accidental - I saw that exact behaviour in three different stores!)

It's possible that the EOI's represent a small benefit to some members, but for me personally, because of the amount I'm out of the province, they really don't. Giving me a heads-up that the beer is going to be in store doesn't much matter if I'm in AB when it happens. (Statistically speaking, you'd expect if I were away half the time, I'd miss about half the one-offs, but, no, Murphy's Law being what it is, I miss just about every single one. :roll: )

RikkiRazor

Post by RikkiRazor » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:54 pm

Thank you Tom and Mike for all your hard work. I did not get a calendar this year either. I order every offering that comes along and even ordered 3 calendars and still didn't get one. I think that all club members should reply to the offerings so that we can be assured of ample supply. I don't know what the NLC was thinking this year but I hope there are some extras that come in from somewhere.

danhyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by danhyde » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Oud Geuze Vandervelden at Howley Estates!

shorlin

Post by shorlin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Yes b'y, gueuze at the NLC. I was just coming to say that there's a new St. Ambroise oak aged pale, which you can see in the picture behind the stack of Vandervelden. My news is less exciting.

Is that the start of the CBA leftovers I wonder?
The next beer you try might be the best beer you will ever have.
Check out my Untappd profile: https://untappd.com/user/shorlin

shorlin

Post by shorlin » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:39 pm

OK here's the greatest thing at NLC this holiday season. Who cares about Vandervelden?

Trooper, with a glass, in a tin. It's charged with flavour! If you want one for a loved one for Christmas, run to the liquor store right now. These will not last.

The next beer you try might be the best beer you will ever have.
Check out my Untappd profile: https://untappd.com/user/shorlin

nbnewf

Post by nbnewf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Just picked up Boxing Rock "Stayin'Alive" Bock and "Over the Top" sour mash cranberry wheat. Also Pucaroons winter warmer, Belhaven "Twisted thistle" IPA, Gahan "Shorteset Day spiced milk stout. Off the pallet at Kelsey. They told me that someone who bought a calendar, had returned it to the liquor store...that they changed their mind!!!! Were they out of their mind??!! I said I would have paid them extra to take off their hands. Golly.

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by beerthief » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Really Steve, did you just say who cares about Vendervelden? Tsk tsk! I’m really surprised it made it to the shelves in light of who knew it was out there.

I have plenty😜
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

nbnewf

Post by nbnewf » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:14 pm

nbnewf wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:42 pm
Just picked up Boxing Rock "Stayin'Alive" Bock and "Over the Top" sour mash cranberry wheat. Also Pucaroons winter warmer, Belhaven "Twisted thistle" IPA, Gahan "Shorteset Day spiced milk stout. Off the pallet at Kelsey. They told me that someone who bought a calendar, had returned it to the liquor store...that they changed their mind!!!! Were they out of their mind??!! I said I would have paid them extra to take off their hands. Golly.
That's the second time today I typed Pucaroons instead of Picaroons! Pica puca all the same!

lstewart89

Post by lstewart89 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:25 am

beerthief wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:40 pm
Really Steve, did you just say who cares about Vendervelden? Tsk tsk! I’m really surprised it made it to the shelves in light of who knew it was out there.

I have plenty😜
Have I missed my opportunity to get the Vendervelden? I can't make it to the NLC until tomorrow :shock:
What's Brewing?

Fermenting: Amarillo by Morning Pale Ale, Krampusnacht Imperial Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Stille Nacht Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Ready to Drink: Belgian Patersbier, Citra Pale Ale, Bright Side of Life IPA