Supreme Court of Canada to hear New Brunswick man's cross-border beer case

Big Daddio

Supreme Court of Canada to hear New Brunswick man's cross-border beer case

Post by Big Daddio » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Very interested to see how this one turns out this week...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.4381048

tpearce

Re: Supreme Court of Canada to hear New Brunswick man's cross-border beer case

Post by tpearce » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:28 am

Bayman4048

Post by Bayman4048 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:55 am

I bring beer back to Newfoundland, or have family bring it here for me, quite a lot. The issue being, I want access to better products and a more wide range of products. Not to get access to cheaper beer. Craft beer availability, for instance, is often impacted by geography. "Small", independent brewers tend to have limited distribution range because of shipping costs or low inventory levels. This court battle is more about provincial liquor corps making a power play as a bully. Meanwhile protecting their own tax revenue "cash cow" and bloated employment. NLC and the province, for example, would better off, if all liquor stores were privatized. Local/independent owners can source inventory from whomever they want. The NLC would still have right to its special tax charge but would be able to shed the overhead costs, which mostly consists of wages, pension, rent, maintenance and shipping.

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by beerthief » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:49 am

Every time we get a new government the topic of privatization comes up but it never comes to pass.
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

cagiva650

Post by cagiva650 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am

I agree with most of what was stated. But I disagree with the privatization of the NLC. The industry needs to be privatized, not the NLC. A privately owned monopoly would be worse for consumers than a government monopoly.
I am cheering for Mr Comeau.
“A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.” Czech Proverb

Bayman4048

Post by Bayman4048 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Oh! Yes, I didn't mean privatising the NLC. I meant still having the NLC, but as the governing body only. Retail sales would be privatised and each privately owned outlet would be responsible to source its own inventory. NLC would get to apply the special alcohol taxes but would be out of the distribution and sales business. No government department should be directly in the retail space for anything.
cagiva650 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am
I agree with most of what was stated. But I disagree with the privatization of the NLC. The industry needs to be privatized, not the NLC. A privately owned monopoly would be worse for consumers than a government monopoly.
I am cheering for Mr Comeau.