2015 Festivals?

Grogsnob

2015 Festivals?

Post by Grogsnob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Anyone planning on attending any festivals for 2015?

I was planning on heading to Mondial this year but I'm going to be overseas at that time. I'm looking for a replacement festival to attend somewhere in North America.
To beer! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 2015 Festivals?

Post by beerthief » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Excellent thread! Personally I'd love to get to Modeste in Antwerp in October, same with GABF. This is a great thread for people to start popping up different festivals for people to put together travel plans or coordinate trips etc. Let the games begin!
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Grogsnob

Post by Grogsnob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Modeste looks fantastic! I haven't been to Antwerp yet either..

Ideally I'd like to find one that I can ride to on motorcycle. Anyone know for anything in July/August/Sept in the Northeast US?
To beer! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

beerthief
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by beerthief » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:51 pm

got your google out…Zwantse Day and I can send you to a good ADV rally in September in Vermont if you want. :mrgreen:
So many beers, so little time...

save $5 on a new smugmug photo account: use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:05 pm

If you can find Zwanze tickets somewhere, either DDC or Volo in Canada, that is way worth it. I like the general line up at Volo more since they get more Cantillon and a bunch of Ontario breweries to make sour beers.

I find Mondal overpriced and kinda lacks in selection compared to festivals like Cask Days. Plus, you can make a proper week out of Cask Days and all the Toronto bars. Cask Days is really a whole weekend of fun and wonderful beers. Aside from the conditioning not being right on a few beers, there are few festivals that have the sense of fun and comradely that Cask Days does. Waiting in a bathroom line at Mondal was usually with some bros crushing the Keith's tent, at Cask Days it's everyone comparing notes on which of the 300+ rare and one off beers they enjoyed and trying to figure out what to try next. Best event for beer in Canada by far (after Zwanze Day, but that's way harder to get tickets for and thus plan around).

Bayman4048

Post by Bayman4048 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:12 pm

I wasn't able to make it to the 2014 Beer Show here in St. John's due to work commitments. I recently managed to get a list of the beers that were there. Wow! Big disappointment. I have friends from out of town who are thinking about coming here for the 2015 Beer Show. I told them they may want to reconsider. For a beer-loving province and the growing expat population from Europe etc. living in Newfoundland, the market should be ripe now, for bringing in beers from Belgium as well as the central and north eastern parts of the US, etc. Perhaps some sort of "partnership" with the Nova Scotia liquor board would help make it more financially and logistically feasible for the NLC. I know the Nova Scotia liquor board have a much better selection of beer than we have in Newfoundland. I could rant about the NLC, but I realize I'd be preaching to the choir.

Pythagosaurus

Post by Pythagosaurus » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:47 am

Yeah, I've done the NL beer expo once. Never again. Bunch of frat boys trying to drink as much Molson as they can to get their money's worth. The few worthwhile beers brought in for the expo will show up at the NLC.

Would love to get out to Cask Days again this year. I've gone in 2011, 2012, and 2014 and loved each of them. As Chris said, there's lots of camaraderie and a great sense of exploration and discovery trying to sample as many of the 300+ one-offs as you can. The food, music, and venue are all also great. Hopefully a trip to TO can be found in the budget. I should check the ole Air Miles balance..

cagiva650

Post by cagiva650 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 am

groulxsome wrote:If you can find Zwanze tickets somewhere, either DDC or Volo in Canada, that is way worth it. I like the general line up at Volo more since they get more Cantillon and a bunch of Ontario breweries to make sour beers.

I find Mondal overpriced and kinda lacks in selection compared to festivals like Cask Days. Plus, you can make a proper week out of Cask Days and all the Toronto bars. Cask Days is really a whole weekend of fun and wonderful beers. Aside from the conditioning not being right on a few beers, there are few festivals that have the sense of fun and comradely that Cask Days does. Waiting in a bathroom line at Mondal was usually with some bros crushing the Keith's tent, at Cask Days it's everyone comparing notes on which of the 300+ rare and one off beers they enjoyed and trying to figure out what to try next. Best event for beer in Canada by far (after Zwanze Day, but that's way harder to get tickets for and thus plan around).
Mondial has certainly gone downhill from what it was. They seem to be more intersted in expanding the brand to other markets, Europe, South America. The Montreal Mondial has been neglected. The rules have changed forbidding small breweries from getting together to put in a booth. Each brewery now has to have a single booth. Too expensive for the small guys. The Vermont brewers booth used to be a favorite. Great beer. But the rule changes mean they can't have a combined booth, so they all stay away. :cry: Saint Bock used to have a lot of great Belgian beer at Mondial. But the new rules mean that they can now only carry the beer that Saint Bock makes. Mostly mediocre. Now it seems half the venues are food. As for the bathroom problem, This is one of the reasons I always stay as near as possible, and also avoid the Friday Saturday evening party crowd.
“A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.” Czech Proverb

cagiva650

Post by cagiva650 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:28 am

Bayman4048 wrote: For a beer-loving province and the growing expat population from Europe etc. living in Newfoundland, the market should be ripe now, for bringing in beers from Belgium as well as the central and north eastern parts of the US, etc. Perhaps some sort of "partnership" with the Nova Scotia liquor board would help make it more financially and logistically feasible for the NLC. I know the Nova Scotia liquor board have a much better selection of beer than we have in Newfoundland. I could rant about the NLC, but I realize I'd be preaching to the choir.
They have the ability to put on a great event, if they wanted to. They boast about World class wine. They seek out great products for the wine shows. If they had the same focus for beer, World class, great products, it would be wonderful. But the NLC has no interest, distain even, for beer. People like us asking for better beer are a nuisance to the NLC.
“A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.” Czech Proverb

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am

cagiva650 wrote:Mondial has certainly gone downhill from what it was. They seem to be more intersted in expanding the brand to other markets, Europe, South America. The Montreal Mondial has been neglected. The rules have changed forbidding small breweries from getting together to put in a booth. Each brewery now has to have a single booth. Too expensive for the small guys. The Vermont brewers booth used to be a favorite. Great beer. But the rule changes mean they can't have a combined booth, so they all stay away. :cry: Saint Bock used to have a lot of great Belgian beer at Mondial. But the new rules mean that they can now only carry the beer that Saint Bock makes. Mostly mediocre. Now it seems half the venues are food. As for the bathroom problem, This is one of the reasons I always stay as near as possible, and also avoid the Friday Saturday evening party crowd.
That's been my recent experience with Mondial as well. One of my least favorite weekends to be in Montreal, really, since all the places I normally like to drink are filled to the brim with people in town for Mondial. Sure, there are the occasional extra interesting kegs (Cantillon at DDC!), but mostly it means big crowds and an ever shrinking beer selection.

I really think several Toronto beer festivals, breweries, and beer bars have eclipsed Montreal in the last couple of years. Five years ago, for sure Montreal was the better place to drink beer. But now, a few days hitting the right spots in Toronto and then Cask Days will give you more diversity than you can get there. If anyone hasn't been recently, it's worth doing. It's not the old big smoke it once was.